Legal Document Assistant Registration
Business and Professions Code Sections 6400 et al requires a Legal Document Assistant (LDA) to register in each county in which the LDA performs acts for which registration is required.
Who is Legal Document Assistant? Business and Professions Code Section 6400 reads in part:
- Any person who is not exempted under Section 6401 and who provides, or assists in providing, or offers to provide, or offers to assist in providing, for compensation, any self-help service to a member of the public who is representing himself or herself in a legal matter, or who holds himself or herself out as someone who offers that service or has that authority. This paragraph shall not apply to any individual whose assistance consists merely of secretarial or receptionist services.
- A corporation, partnership, association, or other entity that employs or contracts with any person not exempted under Section 6401 who, as part of his or her responsibilities, provides, or assists in providing, or offers to provide, or offers to assist in providing, for compensation, any self-help service to a member of the public who is representing himself or herself in a legal matter or holds himself or herself out as someone who offers that service or has that authority. This paragraph shall not apply to an individual whose assistance consists merely of secretarial or receptionist services.
You should review all laws and regulations concerning Legal Document Assistant. If you are a LDA or choose to become a LDA in Ventura County, you must register with the County Clerk’s Office.
NOTE: Link to Legal Document Assistant Registration forms located at the bottom of the page.
To complete the registration process, you must do the following:
- The Legal Document Assistant Registration Application should be completed (typewritten) and signed. If you provide us with a duplicate copy, we will return the conformed copy to you. Registration shall be in each county in which services are performed.
- Provide supporting documentation as requested in the application form.
- Provide payment of fees –
- Check for payable to County Clerk (additional fees may be required)
- Additional fees – if your bond contains additional pages, please provide an additional per page
- Provide a two-year Legal Document Assistant bond in the amount of $25,000. Or, in lieu of the bond, the registrant may deposit $25,000 in cash with the County Clerk. The bond CANNOT combine both a Legal Document Assistant and an Unlawful Detainer Assistant. An original bondis required for the primary county in which you are applying for registration. A certified copy of the original bond must be submitted in each additional county in which you apply for registration. The bond must cover the two-year registration period. We require the bond to explicitly state the effective and expiration dates. If necessary, the registration period will be shortened to coincide with the date the bond expires.
- Title of bond must state: LEGAL DOCUMENT ASSISTANT BOND.
- The bond should have a bond number.
- Registrant’s name on bond must be the same as on the registration form.
- The beneficiary must be the State of California.
- The primary county must be indicated on the bond (e.g. the primary county is Ventura County).
- The bond must indicate an effective date and expiration date.
- The Attorney-in-Fact must be registered with Ventura County Clerk or a currently dated copy of the power-of-attorney must be attached to the bond authorizing the Attorney-in-Fact to issue the bond. This document will be recorded and must comply with all requirements for recording.
- The Attorney-in-Fact signature must be acknowledged before a notary public. This document will be recorded and must comply with all requirements for recording.
- Provide valid picture identification, acceptable to the County Clerk.
- Personally bring all of the above to the County Clerk’s Office for registration. You may apply for registration as a Legal Document Assistant between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you have any questions regarding this, please contact the County Clerk’s office at (805) 654-2263.