Business License


One of the basic steps in starting your new business is to review applicable city, county, state and Federal regulations and obtain any necessary licenses or permits. The following lists some of the requirements at each level of government. It is a general guide and should not be considered an all-inclusive checklist. Requirements vary depending on the type, size, location, etc., of the business.


A business license is an annual tax you pay for doing business within a city boundary. It is required BEFORE any business, trade, profession, enterprise, establishment, occupation, or calling is conducted within the boundaries of a city, even if your business is physically located outside the city limits or you have a business license from another city. Business license fees and regulations are different for each city. Contact your city for further information:

  • CAMARILLO: 601 Carmen Drive (805) 388-5330
  • FILLMORE: 250 Central Avenue (805) 524-3701
  • MOORPARK: 799 Moorpark Avenue (805) 517-6200
  • OJAI: 401 South Ventura Street (805) 646-5581
  • OXNARD: 214 S. C Sreet, Oxnard (805) 385-7817
  • PORT HUENEME: 250 North Ventura Road (805) 986-6526
  • SANTA PAULA: 970 Ventura Street (805) 933-4211
  • SIMI VALLEY: 2929 Tapo Canyon Road (805) 583-6736
  • THOUSAND OAKS: 2100 East Thousand Oaks Boulevard (805) 449-2201
  • VENTURA: 501 Poli Street, Room 107 (805) 658-4715


Government Center, 800 South Victoria Avenue, Ventura, CA 93009

Fictitious Business Name: If you regularly transact business in this state for profit under a fictitious business name, you will need to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement with the County Clerk’s Office.

Click here for information regarding Fictitious Business Name Statements.

Health Permits: Contact the County Environmental Health Division, Hall of Administration, 3rd Floor, (805) 654-2813 for the appropriate permit if your business/project is associated with any of the following: retail food sales, public pools/spas, septic systems, underground fuel tanks, medical waste, hazardous waste, tattooing, body piercing, permanent cosmetics, landfills, compost facilities, or trash trucks.

County Business License: The County Sheriff’s Office accepts applications for business licenses ONLY from businesses located in the unincorporated areas of Ventura County which are regulated by the Sheriff, such as: temporary show or concert, dance hall, hawker, pool table, pawn broker, junk collector or dealer, massage parlor, rubbish collector, second-hand dealer, solicitor, taxi cab operator, itinerant merchant, bingo, etc. If your business address is located in the unincorporated area, or you conduct business in the unincorporated area, please contact the Sheriff’s Office to see if you are required to hold a County Business License at (805) 654-2371.

County Business Tax Certificate: All businesses, professions, trades, vocations, enterprises, establishments, occupations and callings being conducted in the unincorporated areas of the county must obtain a Business Tax Certificate. This includes temporary businesses (e.g., film productions). Even businesses located within any city limits that deliver, solicit, or operate in the unincorporated areas of the county must have this certificate. For more information, call the Business Tax Bureau at (805) 654-3727.