Language Accessibility Advisory Committee
The Language Accessibility Advisory Committee (LAAC) is an advisory committee to the Ventura County Elections Division.
The mission of the LAAC is to advise and assist the County Registrar of Voters with implementation of federal and state laws relating to access to the electoral process by voters with limited English proficiency, so that all persons who are eligible to vote can understand the voting process. Ventura County is required to provide language assistance in accordance with state and federal law for the following covered languages: Spanish, Tagalog, Chinese, and Vietnamese.
LAAC meetings are held quarterly at the County Government Center. This is a volunteer committee. There is no stipend or reimbursement for participating in the LAAC.
- Provide recommendations for reaching out to individuals and organizations that serve voters with limited English proficiency
- Provide recommendations for improving access and participation in elections by voters with limited English proficiency
- Advise County elections officials on improving access and availability of election materials in required languages
- Assist in disseminating information to limited English proficiency communities
- Assist in the development of more accessible, plain language voting materials
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of Bilingual poll workers
The committee is comprised of representatives from:
- Conejo Chinese Cultural Association
- Central Coast Alliance United for A Sustainable Economy (CAUSE)
- Filipino American Council
The Ventura County LAAC accepts applications throughout the year. If you would like to apply to become a member, click the link below and complete the application.
NEXT LAAC MEETING
February 12, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. Please RSVP by calling 805-654-2232 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org